Thursday, June 7, 2007

Consumer Theology, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

What are you doing for the Kingdom of God?

Yeah, I know, twelve people just closed the browser all at once. I'm sure at least one person just unsubscribed to my Blog. Don't worry though true believers, I'm not going to give you any guilt trips, just some insight from my own life. No, "Jesus died for you, what are you doing for him?" no, I'm going to get straight to the nuts and bolts here.

Church and I have an interesting history. At the moment I'm kind of shopping around for a permanent church, kicking around a few ideas for bible studies and whatnot, since I recently resigned as Youth Guy at Hastings. Before now though, I've been an employee at two churches, and spent most of my youth hanging out at one. Growing up the Youth Group defined me, gave me hope, and gave me a place to belong. At the same time though, that very same youth group gave me insecurities, disillusionment and disappointment. I'm not placing blame anywhere, I honestly couldn't tell you why I don't feel at home at Liberty anymore, the point is that it is what it is.

As I shop around for a church I've talked to a few other people about their churches, or about what they look for in a church, why they haven't picked one yet. The thing that I hear a lot is something along the lines of, "They just don't have what I'm looking for." I find it interesting that people like me can choose a church based on the same criteria used to select a restaurant. "It's just not my style, I just don't care for that sort of thing."

So I must now ask myself, and in the process you, a question: When in history has church ever been about getting something?

Not Jesus, not Peter, not Paul, no one ever set church up to be what it's become. I'm not talking about instruments and ceremonies, I don't give a crap one way or another about that nonsense, if it gets you closer to God do it, whatever. I'm talking about the selfishness, the way that I've managed to make church into a social club. Church is about giving back, it's about existing in community with others, and bringing my gifts to the family of God.

So maybe you're like me, and maybe you're not getting a lot out of church. That could be because you're like me and you're not putting a lot into church. In fact, I'm willing to say it's the number one likely reason.

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching. - Hebrews 10:24-25

See that? Right there. Mr. Hebrew doesn't say, "Don't give up on meeting because you might miss communion or a really good sermon or you just can't be a good person without church," he says it plain and simple, don't stop meeting because others need your encouragement!

I need to get this through my skull, whether I'm in a church or searching for one, I need to quit looking for something that suits my needs and I need to find a place where I can contribute. I need to humble myself before God and find a family to help, because others need me. They need you too.

(jake)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TWO in one week! Sweet action!!!

True stuff. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting...I dont get to have my talks with you at the Panda anymore, so this is good. I didnt know you had this up, and now I cant stop reading! Keep being a light on a hill.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.