Friday, October 30, 2009

Middle Drawer Faith

"Unless you change and become like one of these children, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven." - Matthew 18:3

Interesting verse. Lock it down in your brains, we'll come back to it in a bit.

Remember 1997? It was a really good year. Tiger Woods won his first Masters, Mike Tyson bit Evander Holyfield's ear, and a giant Tonka Truck was sent to Mars, where it eventually ran into a rock and stopped talking to us. A little band called dcTalk was proving the Christian music wasn't always corny, and ska music was reaching its peak. It was in this specific year that a young Jake Owens was introduced to a then-rapidly-growing fad. I'm speaking of course about the WWJD bracelet. They came in an assortment of colors, red, blue, purple, teal, etc. Mine was green. Not a bright green, but a dark, strong, forest green. The color of a person's WWJD bracelet said a lot about them and how they served God. The green bracelet just happened to scream, "Will lose his hair by the time he's 20 and eventually surrender to the fact that he's not good at anything other than teaching Sunday School and playing video games." Don't even ask me what a yellow bracelet said about someone.

For my readers who are either older than 30 or younger than 20, you have to understand what these bracelets were all about. See, in ancient times, Christians were persecuted, so they had to come up with clever ways of identifying one another as Christians. In 1997, the true believers identified themselves with a colorful bracelet on the wrist. It meant you got it. It was a sign that you were not just a "christian," but that you were a, "CHRISTIAN." (The difference is subtle, but I'm relatively certain it has something to do with whether you can sing harmony on Light the Fire or not.)

So for a while, things were wonderful. But then that terrible, horrible, dark year of 1998 approached, and the inevitable happened. The fad. WWJD was no longer something secret and sacred, suddenly it was something cheerleaders wore! Suddenly it was a way of identifying who was cool! Suddenly the beautiful people wanted to know me, because I was wearing the same bracelet as them! I remember sitting in the cafeteria with my friends and wanting to scream, "NO! This isn't right! You're not supposed to match your bracelet with your shoes! You're supposed to let it scream something about your faith!" We all fought that long culture war, but in the end, as they always do, the trendsetters won out, and the bracelet became just another accessory. Sometime around 1999, I sadly put my green WWJD bracelet away in the middle drawer for good, to be lost amongst so many back-issues of Nintendo Power.

Now look; I've spent a lot of the last couple of years trying to rediscover my 6th grade faith. Somewhere along the line between 12 and 23, I let my faith become less...potent. It's not that I love God less, it just feels like for some reason I don't rely on him as much. Maybe I grew up and started thinking I was able to take care of myself, maybe I just grew up. Who knows. The point is, 12 year old Jake was a titan of faith. That kid would stand on a bus stop with drug dealers and chain smokers and not bat an eye, because he knew that Jesus protected him. He used to stay awake late at night to pray longer, because he knew it would make tomorrow better. 23 year old Jake? He's having trouble waking up 20 minutes before class to say a prayer.

I'm not about to say that that bracelet was directly tied to my faith, but what I did notice is that the bracelet left about the time I started to develop a healthy dose of cynicism in my attitude. Suddenly, just because other people had diluted the importance of WWJD, I didn't want anything to do with it. The bracelet was just a symptom of something deeper; my faith had become jaded. I was suddenly analyzing others' faith, trying to pinpoint what they were doing wrong so I could "fix" it. I put that bracelet in the drawer about the same time that I started complaining that no one was as enlightened as I was, whining about how youth events could have been done better, trying to identify what others should be doing for me.

Lately my prayers have been a little different. Rather than praying to God for a deeper understanding of him, or praying that he fixes everyone else's attitude, I've started praying that God restores the faith of my youth. It was a selfless faith, one that didn't critique and judge others' performance, the kind of faith that just loved to be among Christians and to worship with them.

Again, I can't be sure that this applies to you. But be honest; do you complain a lot? Do you lean over to the person beside you and complain about how much you hate when Song Leader A leads this song, or how you wish we hadn't moved to the gym, or how much assigned seating bugs you, or what speaker you wish they had instead. Is your faith conditional? Are you only joyful when things go a certain way? Or do you rejoice that God has called you? Do you spend your time being joyful because God is joyful, praising because he deserves it, and loving others because they're God's children too?

It occurs to me that having the faith of a child isn't about anything more than being content, being happy, and being joyful simply that God has called you to be his child. The faith of a child isn't a silly faith or an oversimplified one, it's a faith that lacks cynicism.

The other day, while deep cleaning The 305, I found a WWJD bracelet under my desk. I'm not sure where it came from, but it was in pristine condition. I turned it over backwards, strapped it on, then flipped it, so that it wouldn't come loose. My new bracelet is red. Red seems to be the color that says, "Nothing good is ever truly lost."

(jake)

1 comment:

Shane-san said...

Awesome you're writing again! Been missing the insight dude.

I like this post and the one before it. God has blessed you with an awesome ability to connect with your audience through writing.
I like the infusion of pop culture and humor. I really connect with your conception of childlike faith and being content rather than pointing out other's faults.

Check out my most recent posts on theintrovertspeaksout.blogspot.com Circumstances, Opportunities, and the Choice Between Them and Love God. Love People. Period. Let me know what you think!

I'm a Junior at Illinois State University right now, majoring in English. I'm involved in two christian campus clubs and am really enjoying the atmosphere. I'm learning a lot about leadership, evangelism and God's will for my life. Pray for me!

God Bless!

Shane

And congrats on your upcoming marriage!