Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Flowery Post

Enough fighting the man, it's been a long, painful series of weeks here at York College, and it's time to smile a little.

Jesus had a thing for outcasts. Lepers, adulteresses, tax collectors, murderers, he attracted them all. And even though the religious leaders of the day thought they weren't saving, Jesus Christ did. What bugs me a lot is that I think I'm more like a pharisee than a murderer, and honestly, I'd rather be a murderer.

I've always loved the story of the woman caught in adultery as an example of Jesus' grace, but I think that the one I need to be reading is a couple books later, in the book of Acts. I think that the story I need to read is about a young man named Saul, who was so absorbed in what he thought God wanted that he had lost sight of what God really wanted.

On the road Saul saw Jesus face to face, and Jesus Christ made it clear that he had plans for Saul. We all know how it goes; this murderous hypocritical monster becomes a loving, gentle apostle, teaching and redeeming across the world, sparing no expense to share the gospel of Christ.

I've never killed anyone physically. I've never commited adultery, heck, I don't even download music. What I've done is far worse. I've killed spiritually. I've abandoned my God of love for a God of my own creation, one who smiles on people who sit in pews and say Amen at the right time, who attend youth rallies and go to Christian Colleges. I've shunned those who won't fall in line with my idea of a Christian, and I've shunned those who needed my help.

I suppose that one of my greatest failings is my misunderstanding of grace. I could take the easy way out here and blame the Church of Christ and it's bitter reactionary stance on once-saved doctrine, but the reality is that I beat myself up and treat myself like crap, and it doesn't do anyone a bit of good. In fact, it's like I'm telling Jesus that his sacrifice isn't enough.

Read this next line carefully. Re-read it. Pay attention.

Grace covers even hypocrisy. Even a Pharisee can be born again.

It's easy to get angry and throw my fist up in the air. Being mad at myself is simple. Being frustrated with my friends is no problem. The hard part is sitting down once in a while and remembering that no matter how messed up I am or my world is, God died for me, and he's strong enough to create this Earth, strong enough to forgive a bald kid with a sharp tounge. It even covers the sin of underestimating grace.

Even if you hate snow, smile a little tonight. Jesus died for you, and his blood is powerful enough to forgive Saul, it's powerful enough to forgive Jake, and it most certainly is powerful enough to forgive you. I've prayed that everyone who reads this gets a special blessing straight from the Father, so keep your eyes open, you never know what might happen.

(jake)

No comments: