Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Plankeyed

Reality check. Not for you, for me. This blog is just my attempt to keep my spritual journey in the plubic eye so I'll be held accountable. But the reality check, it's time to stop and evaluate that ever important organ, the heart. Specifically, is my heart in the right place?

See, the road to Hell is in fact paved with good intentions, but Hell has a crappy department of transportation, and they only paved it about a third of the way. After that it becomes real choppy and dirty with spoiled motives and lost passions. In fact, when you think about it, the only difference between the road to Heaven and the road to Hell might just be the direction you're travelling. Hm. Another blog perhaps.

Still, the point I'm working towards is this; I have a bad habit of forgetting who the enemy is. As I sit here with my newfound love Flogging Molly, I have to wonder just who I'm fighting. See, I'm very big on rooting out hypocrisy, especially in my own heart, but sometimes I forget that the issue is my heart, and I start focusing on other people's hypocrisy.

First off, I have no idea of knowing if anyone else on Earth is a hypocrit or not. Me? I am. I'm a freaking Pharisee. What happens is I get all fired up to fix my own heart, then I notice something in me, then I realize that maybe the rest of the world has the same problem as me, then I figure they must, then I attack them for the thing that I was trying to get out of myself, completely forgetting to remove the plank in my own eye.

I suppose what I'm trying to get across is that I need to stop attacking my brothers and sisters. I've said before that grace covers hypocrisy, but do I exhibit that same grace? The answer is a resounding no. I do not. I attack the pharisees and forget completely that the whole issue was my own hypocrisy. I have no motive to help, just to hurt. All I want is to destroy what I saw in myself. I think it's called projection.

My prayer for myself is that I can learn to focus on myself. I've got a lot of ground to cover. My prayer for anyone unfortunate enough to read this mess is that you will be blessed with wisdom to see the sin in your own heart, and that we can all just start trying to fix ourselves, and end up helping each other as a result.

(jake)

No comments: